Chrysler Is Recalling 4.8 Million Cars, SUVs, And Trucks
The recall is being issued over a problem that could prevent drivers from turning off cruise control.
The recall includes 15 Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and Ram models from six model years. Models in other countries also are affected.
The models covered under the recall include:
• 2015-17 Chrysler 200 sedan
• 2014-18 Chrysler 300 sedan
• 2014-18 Dodge Charger sedan
• 2014-18 Dodge Durango SUV
• 2014-18 Dodge Journey crossover
• 2014-18 Jeep Cherokee SUV
• 2014-18 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV
• 2014-18 Ram 2500 pickup
• 2014-18 Ram 3500 cab chassis
• 2014-18 Ram 3500 pickup
• 2014-18 Ram 4500/5500 cab chassis
• 2014-19 Ram 1500 pickup
• 2015-18 Dodge Challenger Coupe
• 2017-18 Chrysler Pacifica minivan
• 2018 Jeep Wrangler
The company is warning owners not to use cruise control until the cars, SUVs, and trucks can be fixed with a software update. Fiat Chrysler says the condition can occur if the cruise control accelerates at the same time an electrical short-circuit happens. But the brakes are designed to overpower the engine and the vehicles could still be stopped. Shifting into park would cancel the cruise.
The problem was found in testing. There are no reports of crashes or injuries.